Note to future self…
Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about whether we should intentionally cut negativity out of our lives? I see strong arguments in favor and against of doing this. Here are some of the main points in both cases:
- Negativity is a bad input for your brain and it will hinder the way you see the world
- Negativity doesn’t add any value to your life. It’s literally a net negative.
- Avoiding negativity keeps you in a bubble and makes you loose touch with reality
- Avoiding negativity can make you fragile because you will get hurt once you face reality
Now as with a lot of things I feel that the truth lies somewhere in middle. A lot more nuance is necessary. Although explaining my thought process will take awhile here are my main thoughts on this topic right now:
- Avoid negative people. Period. This is non-negotiable.
- Avoid negativity but seek constructive criticism.
- There’s no value in seeking opposing viewpoints (probably perceived negatively by you) for the sake of being “balanced”.
I will keep thinking more about this but for now I am leaning on the side of avoiding negativity.
Life’s too short.
Now back to work…